221 Comanche Street
Kiowa, CO 80117
PO Box 26
Kiowa, CO 80117
Phone number: 303-621-3101
Fax number: 303-621-3173
Elected Official: Billie Mills, Assessor
Hours: 7:30a.m. to 5:00p.m Monday through Thursday
About the Deparment
The Assessor is responsible for discovering, listing, classifying, and valuing all property in the county in accordance with state laws. Colorado law is very specific in establishing how Assessors value property:
- Real property must be revalued every odd numbered year.
- The actual value of real property is based on its value as of the appraisal date, which is the June 30th of the year prior to the reappraisal year.
- Residential property may be valued using only the market approach to value. In this approach, the value of the subject property is based on an analysis of comparable sales to predict the price properties would have sold for on the Appraisal date.
- For tax years 2013 and 2014, the assessor must use a minimum of the comparable sales between January 1, 2011 and June 30, 2012. However, the assessor is authorized to include and analyze additional sales that occurred up to five years preceding June 30, 2012, adding sales in six month increments. Elbert County uses sales between July 1, 2010 through June 30, 2012, which includes all sales consummated after the previous reappraisal, and accounts for seasonal differences in the market.
- For current Notice of Values, and tax years 2015 and 2016, we will use comparable sales between July 1, 2012 and June 30, 2104.