Planning is part of the Elbert County Community & Development Services Department. Planning Staff works closely with other county departments, including Road & Bridge, the various county Fire Districts, Engineering and Environmental Health, to assist landowners in using their property, and to enforce the adopted Zoning Regulations to protect surrounding property owners from incompatible land uses. The Planning Department staff is responsible for advising the Board of Commissioners, the Planning Commission and the public on land use and development issues. The planning staff accepts and reviews all land planning applications according to the County Zoning Regulations and County Master plans. The staff also prepares updates and revisions to the County's Zoning Regulations for review by the Board of Commissioners to keep up with the changing economic climates and the changing values of the County's citizens.
LAND USE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED UNTIL A PRE-APPLICATION MEETING IS HELD AND THE COMMUNITY MEETING, IF REQUIRED BY THE APPLICATION, IS HELD
Beginning April 1, 2014 -- ALL submittals for planning projects and permits must include a complete hard copy/paper application package and an identical complete DIGITAL application package on either on a CD/DVD or on a thumb/flash drive that Elbert County will keep for archiving purposes.
All items submitted must be in electronic format on a single CD/DVD (emailing individual files is not acceptable). As items and elements are revised throughout the review process, the resubmittal of all items on a single CD/DVD will be required. At time of final approval CDS staff shall determine if all FINAL changes have been included on all electronic versions. A final CD/DVD of the application, in its entirety, may be required prior to recordation or final approval.
PLANNING DOCUMENTS AND APPLICATIONS:
PRE-APPLICATION DOCUMENTS (Required for ALL Land Use Applications)
1. Pre-Application Meeting Application Form
2. Pre-Application Meeting Checklist (for most applications)
3. Pre-Application Meeting Checklist (for Site Plan Applications Only)
4. Community Meeting Information Packet
Criteria for Second Residence (Permitted by Right on 35+ acres and permitted by Special Use Permit on 20-34.999 acres only)
PLANNED UNIT DEVELOPMENT
1. Planned Unit Development (PUD) Application
2. Development Guide PUD (PDF)
3. Development Guide PUD (Word)
4. Site Plan Process
5. Grading & Drainage Detail for Exhibit
SPECIAL USE BY REVIEW
What is a Special Use by Review or SUR?
The SUR process is established for the review of uses in specific zoning categories that require public hearings before the Planning Commission and final approval by the Board of County Commissioners. Such uses may require additional conditions and safeguards as may be imposed by the Board of County Commissioners to ensure compatibility with the surrounding areas. Special Uses are generally requested when a desired activity is not a “use by right” on a particular parcel but is also not necessarily incompatible in that zone district.
A Management Plan (AKA Operational Plan) is required for all special uses, which details the day-to-day operations of the use. This Plan, along with the accompanying Site Improvement Plan (SIP) form the basis for annual inspections by County Zoning Compliance staff. An SUR may be inspected on an annual basis to ensure the activity and the property continues to operate according to the approved plan. The elements required for submission describe in detail the physical development involved in the SUR as well as the parameters of the activity involved in the SUR.
Management Plan for the specific use addressing all aspects of day-to-day operations of the SUR. At minimum include:
- Number of clients, boarders, parishioners or animals, etc.
- Hours of operation - indicate whether the use is seasonal and the number of days of the week
- Number of employees
- Required outside storage, parking and loading areas
- Permit requirements from other state, federal or local agencies
- Peak traffic times if identifiable
- Method of providing fire protection
- Other items that are specific to the particular special use
Project review includes evaluation of access, adequate water and sanitation, availability of services, site layout, impacts on surrounding lands and other considerations intended to encourage compatibility with a proposed project’s surroundings. The SUR process ensures that properties are in conformance with the Elbert County Master Plan, Elbert County Zoning Regulations, Elbert County Subdivision Regulations and Elbert County Public Works Engineering Manuals.
- Special Use By Review Worksheet (help with narrative and operational plan)
- Special Use By Review Application Packet
- Development Guide Special Use by Review Example
- Special Use By Review Exhibit Sample (Cover Sheet)
- Special Use By Review SIP/Exhibit (Primary Exhibit to follow Cover Sheet)
- Site Plan for SUR (general SUR site plan/exhibit requirements)
- Site Plan for SUR (more detail may be required for larger projects) Examples: solid waste facility, hotel/motel, outside storage, schools
- Grading & Drainage Detail for Exhibit
- 1041 Regulations (if applicable)
OTHER PLANNING DOWNLOADS
SITE PLAN DEVELOPMENT (SDP)
Site Development Plan Process (SDP)
Special Use By Review Exhibit Sample (Cover Sheet)
Special Use By Review SIP/Exhibit (Primary Exhibit to follow Cover Sheet)
Grading And Drainage Requirements for SDP
All Land Use/Planning Forms and Applications
Board of Adjustments Hearing:
None Currently Scheduled
Planning Commission Meeting Information (See Calendar Here)