Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (Septic Systems)
Elbert County Health Department regulates all Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (OWTS) within the County in accordance to the OWTS Act, Colorado Revised Statutes (CRS) §25-10-10a to ensure the proper installation and use of septic systems.
To learn more about OWTS, visit the Clean Water: OWTS page of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment website.
- Complete OWTS System: $973
- Tank Only / Field Only: $250
- Tank and Field: $500
- Re-Inspection Fee: $100
- All Other Alterations: $100
- Use Permit: $100
- 6 to 12 Month Extension: $250
Permit & Inspection Notes
- New OWTS and Tank/Field Inspections and Permits will be completed within 7 to 10 business days
- All Use Permits will be completed within 5 to 7 business days
- All payments are non-refundable
- New permits are valid for 1 year only
- Repair Permits are valid for 60 days after issuance
- Use Permits are valid for 6 months after issuance
Requirements for Septic Inspection & Approval
- OWTS Permit must be applied for prior to the Building Permit
- Soil test and permit fee must be provided at the time of application
- After installation, a Record Drawing is required for new tanks, fields or complete systems; the system will not be approved for use until the Record Drawing is received
- Maps must be drawn to scale with a north arrow indicated and include benchmarks.
- Lot must be marked, soil profile and perk holes marked properly
- Installer must be currently licensed in Elbert County
- Site visit must be conducted
- Soils data will be reviewed and system will be properly sized
- All systems/installations must be inspected by this Department
Online OWTS Forms
Access and submit online fillable OWTS forms on the Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems page.