Steps in Purchasing a Vehicle from a Private Party

When purchasing a vehicle from a private party, the following paperwork is required:

  1. A title, properly transferred from seller to buyer.
    • If title is with a lien holder, a bill of sale, insurance on the new vehicle, and proof of ownership from previous owner will allow you to receive a temporary registration/tag.
    • If the title is not a Colorado title, you will need to get a vehicle identification number (VIN) verification (available at any emission station upon request for a fee, licensed Colorado dealer or Colorado law enforcement officer).
    • Older Colorado titles may require a notary. If the title has a spot for a notary to sign, it needs to be notarized, or Statement of Transfer (in lieu of notarization of Colorado title), Form DR2445 needs to be filled out.
  2. A Bill of Sale.
  3. If the vehicle is newer than 10 years old, an odometer statement is required.
    • All titles provide a place for the odometer reading.
  4. If you have a lien (loan) on the vehicle you will need a security agreement/loan agreement. The security agreement must list:
    • Description of the vehicle including year, make and VIN.
    • Total amount of payments (amount of lien)
    • Signature in ink, carbon or copy, stamped as true copy of original.
    • Lien holder's name and address.
  5. A certified weight slip will need to be submitted when titling a truck that weighs between 4,500 and 10,000 pounds.
    • If the truck has a Colorado title, or an out of state title that shows the weight, a weight slip is not necessary.
    • The same applies for a motor home.
  6. If you have plates you wish to transfer, bring your registration and plates from the old vehicle.
  7. Proof of Insurance on the new vehicle is required, a fax copy is acceptable.
  8. Sales tax and registration fees are collected at the time the title is processed.