Public Trustee

We will close for lunch on November 16, 2021 after the Tax Lien Sale probably between 1:00 PM to approximately 2:30 PM.  Please call or email and leave us a message.  We will get back to you as soon as we return.  Thank you.

The Public Trustee and staff serve as a statutory mediator between property owners and their bank and/or mortgage company during the foreclosure process.

The Public Trustee cannot give legal advice, but insure fair treatment to homeowners facing the stress of foreclosure. Public Trustees are responsible for processing release of deeds of trust and foreclosures on properties located in Elbert County.

Continued Service

Thank you to all Elbert County Citizens who were patient during the closure of the Samuel Elbert Building due to the COVID-19 crisis. We appreciate your patience and understanding and hope you all are doing well and staying safe. We are open to the public and available to service your in person needs.

We are always here to assist you by phone or email. The Public Trustee's Office additional services include:

  • Drive through
  • Drop box
  • Email
  • Mail
  • Online services
  • Telephone

For assistance please contact us by phone or email.

I encourage you to continue to use these avenues of payment and/or communication to cut down on public traffic in our building; however, we are open to the public.

Cost Increase:

Effective January 2020, the Public Trustee's office will be charging $0.25 per copy for the combined notice mailings along with the statutes.

Notice to an owner in foreclosure:

If you, as the borrower, believe that a lender or servicer has failed to provide you with a single point of contact, as required by Colorado law (C.R.S. §38-38-103.1) or that the lender is pursuing foreclosure despite the fact that you submitted a completed loss mitigation, or you have been offered and accepted a loss mitigation option, pursuant to C.R.S. §38-38-103.2, you may file a complaint with the Colorado Attorney General, the Federal Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB), or both. The filing of a complaint will not stop the foreclosure process.

Overbid Funds:

If your property goes to foreclosure sale and is sold for more than the total owed to the lender and to all other lien holders, you may be entitled to any remaining funds.  C.R.S. 38-38-111(2.5)(a) Please call our office at (303) 621-3120 or email us to find out if you are entitled to any remaining funds.  If you contact us directly, there is not cost to you to claim any excess funds owed you.