Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (Septic Systems)
Elbert County Regulations
- For On-site Wastewater Treatment Systems with flows 2,000 gallons per day or less, permitting is conducted by local counties. Each local public health agency in Colorado has adopted regulations that are at least as stringent as Regulation 43.
- For copies of these regulations, visit Regulation 43 2018-On-Site-Wastewater-Treatment-System-Regulation (PDF) and Appendix A (PDF).
- On-site wastewater treatment systems with flows greater than 2,000 gallons per day must be permitted through the State.
OWTS Permits must be applied for and obtained from the Health Department prior to the installation or repair of any systems. OWTS fees are determined by which permit you need. Public Health Fees (PDF)
You may now pay for your OWTS Permits online. OWTS Permit online payment
- OWTS Educational Seminar: KIOWA OWTS - pCloud
- I am selling my home
- I want to add a bedroom or bathroom in my home
- I want to add an ADU or barn on my property
Septic Permit Process
A Septic permit is required for title transfers, new installations, expansions/additions, and repairs. Begin by applying for a septic permit and providing all required information below:
- Soils report
- OWTS design (if needed)
- Septic application
Use Permit Process
Use Permits are required for the transfer of title, additions of bedrooms, or remodeling in the home. The following documents are needed to apply for a Use Permit.
- Inspection report (from one of our licensed inspectors)
- Septic application
OWTS documents to obtain permits:
- Application for a Septic Permit (PDF)
- Licensed Installers (PDF)
- Licensed Inspectors & Pumpers (PDF)
- Licensed Operations and Maintenance Contractors(PDF)
***Completed applications can be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or dropped off at your local Public Health and Environmental office***
Resources for Homeowners
- Engineers and soils testing (PDF)
- HOMEOWNERS GUIDE FOR MANAGING SEPTIC SYSTEMS (PDF)
- TOP 10 WAYS TO BE A GOOD SEPTIC OWNER (PDF)
- DO YOU PART, BE SEPTIC SMART (PDF)
Resources for Installers and Inspectors
- Soil Profile Test Pit Log and Data Forms (PDF)
- Non-Permitted Repair Verification Form (PDF)
- Use Permit Inspection Form (for installers and inspectors) (PDF)
- OWTS Record Drawing Paper (PDF)
- OWTS Record Drawing Example (PDF)
Interested in being an installer or inspector in Elbert County?
Complete the corresponding application below, pay application fee and return them to:
PO Box 201 Kiowa, CO 80117 or email email@example.com
- Installer License Application (PDF)
- Inspector License Application (PDF)
- Pumper and Inspector License Application (PDF)
Still need assistance?
Contact the Public Health office for further assistance 303-621-3144 or email firstname.lastname@example.org