How do I get a permit to build a new, or repair an on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS)?

An OWTS permit is required for new installations, expansions, and repairs (with some exceptions). To obtain a permit, the following will be required for new systems/new soil treatment areas (STA’s): completed permit application, payment of permit fee, system design, soils information, test pit logs, and a site plan. Elbert County Public Health department will accept the applications at our Environmental Health Office. ECPH staff will then review the information and possibly make a site visit. If the application, soil report and design (if applicable) meet our requirements, ECPH will issue a permit to construct, expand or repair the OWTS.

Septic Permit Application 2021 (PDF)

Show All Answers

1. How do I get a permit to build a new, or repair an on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS)?
2. Under what conditions must an on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS) be designed by a Colorado Licensed Professional Engineer?
3. After I have had a NEW septic system installed what are the next steps?
4. As a Homeowner am I allowed to do my own installation?
5. How do I get a Use Permit?
6. I am selling my property and need to get my waste water system certified. What should I do?
7. What is the minimum lot size for an on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS)?
8. How often do I need to pump my septic tank?
9. Will I be able to irrigate or have horses where my Soil Treatment Area (STA) is located?
10. Can I install a bathroom in a garage, barn, etc., and connect it to my existing on-site wastewater treatment system (OWTS)?
11. I am unsure where my on-site waste-water treatment system (OWTS) is located. Do you have records of my system?
12. I accidentally damaged some components of my septic system. Who should I call to inspect and repair the damage? Do I need a permit?